A LAW FIRM INVESTED IN YOUR STORY Schedule a Free Consultation
Wrecked motorcycle lying on its side

What If My Bike Accident
Was Partially My Fault?

Joshua S. Reed Nov. 26, 2019

Bike accidents, whether they involve motorcycles or bicycles, often result in serious injuries or even fatalities. Here in Tennessee, there are specific definitions of who can be found at fault for such accidents. In this article, you can learn more about how fault is determined in Tennessee, common causes of both motorcycle and bicycle accidents, and why you should work with an attorney in the aftermath of a bike accident. If you have questions following a motorcycle or bicycle accident in the Knoxville or Farragut areas of Tennessee, the Law Office of Joshua S. Reed has answers.

Bike Accident Fault in Tennessee

Tennessee is what is known as an “comparative-fault” state, meaning the damages resulting from an accident are paid by those found to be at fault. In addition, Tennessee’s method of determining fault is done on a “modified comparative” basis. This means different percentages of fault can be split between different parties. For example, you may be found to be 30% at fault for your bike accident and the other party bears 70% of the fault. In this case, you would only be entitled to 70% of the damage amount for compensation.

This modified comparative system is why — in an effort to maximize the amount of compensation you receive — you should have an experienced attorney handle your case. Whether you are riding a motorcycle or bicycle on Tennessee roads, there are common causes for many of the accidents. Being aware of these causes can help you avoid accidents that can result in serious injury or death.

Motorcycle Accidents

Tennessee motorcycle accident fatalities rose sharply in 2018, with 168 motorcyclists losing their lives. While there is always a potential for danger on the roadway, there are situations to be aware of when enjoying a motorcycle ride. Common causes of a motorcycle being hit by a car include:

  • Dangerous road conditions — Inclement weather, damaged roadways, or obstacles in the path

  • Distracted drivers — Cell phone use & other distractions

Understanding the risks and prioritizing safe driving practices can help motorcyclists minimize the danger and reach their destinations safely.

Bicycle Accidents

While bicycle accidents don’t cause nearly as many fatalities as do motorcycle accidents, there is still a risk of serious personal injury. If a bicycle is hit by a car, the results can be devastating to the rider. Common causes of bicycle accidents include:

  • A car attempting to pass a cyclist with limited space on the side of the road

  • A driver failing to properly yield to a cyclist

  • Car doors being opened in front of an approaching cyclist

  • Failure of a driver to see a cyclist

When riding a bicycle on Tennessee roadways, taking appropriate safety measures is vital. If you are involved in an accident, in addition to seeking medical attention for any injuries you may have suffered, it is also important to contact a knowledgeable bike accident attorney to assist you.

Why You Need an Attorney

Regardless of what type of bike accident you’ve been involved in or who has been determined to be at fault, your best option is to consult with an experienced attorney as soon as possible. Don’t attempt to handle insurance companies or attorneys representing other parties on your own. When you are dealing with complicated and stressful legal matters, give yourself peace of mind by having a trained professional working on your case. Working with a seasoned bike accident attorney at the Law Office of Joshua S. Reed will put you in a position to achieve the best possible result.

Bike Accidents Attorney Serving Knoxville, Tennessee

When you or a loved one suffer a personal injury due to a motorcycle or bicycle accident, you need to know where you can turn for help. For individuals and families in the Knoxville and Farragut areas of Tennessee, the Law Office of Joshua S. Reed provides knowledgeable guidance and experienced legal representation. Contact Joshua Reed today to schedule your free consultation.