Joshua S. Reed
FAILURE TO MAINTAIN A TRUCK
INSIGHTFUL & CARING KNOXVILLE TRUCK ACCIDENT ATTORNEY
There are many different causes for truck accidents. These large commercial vehicles dwarf regular passenger cars, posing an extra threat on the highway. Due to their excessive size, they need constant maintenance and upkeep. These vehicles should be viewed as a major responsibility and must be handled with caution and care in order to protect other drivers.
If failure to maintain a large commercial truck played a role in the auto accident you or a loved one was involved in, our team can get to the bottom of it. At the Law Office of Joshua S. Reed, we are passionate about advocating for injury victims and holding truck drivers and truck companies accountable for their negligence. We encourage you to speak with a Knoxville truck accident lawyer from our office in a free case review.
FACTS ABOUT COMMERCIAL TRUCKS
These are some facts you might not know about big rigs:
- 18-wheelers have a maximum load of 80,000 pounds. That’s 20 to 30 times the weight of a car.
- Semi-trailers are about 53 feet long—not including the cab! With the cab, big rigs measure in at up to 80 feet long.
- Semi-trucks have massive engines that weigh more than regular cars; about six times the weight of a typical passenger vehicle’s engine. They also require at least 15 gallons of oil to run!
- Semi-truck engines are also much more powerful than regular car engines, with approximately 300 to 400 more horses and 900 to 1,800 more feet per pound of torque.
- Because semi-trucks are so much larger than regular vehicles, they also need more distance to come to a full stop—estimated at around the length of two football fields.
- 18-wheelers also need more room to turn around. In order to flip a U-turn, a big rig would need about 55 feet. Most lanes in the United States are only 12 feet wide!
The Importance of Maintenance & Upkeep
As you can see, commercial trucks are powerful, complicated machines. They need regular upkeep and maintenance, including brake inspections, regular tire rotations and changes, and attention to proper loading procedures. Any mishandling or mistake in the maintenance of a commercial truck could result in devastating and even deadly consequences.
In an accident with a commercial truck, the passengers of a car are much more likely than the truck’s occupants to be seriously hurt or killed. When truck companies and drivers ignore maintenance on their vehicles, they put others at a greater risk than themselves. If you or a loved one was hurt in a truck accident and failure to maintain the truck played a role in what happened, our personal injury attorney can get to the bottom of it. Mr. Reed handles all cases directly, and provides attentive and caring service.
YOU DESERVE TOUGH ADVOCACY. WE’RE HERE TO HELP.
Negligence is always a serious offense when it comes to vehicle ownership. How much more so when the vehicle weighs 80,000 pounds and comes loaded down with cargo? Truck owners and companies who don’t exercise the utmost caution in handling and maintaining their vehicles should absolutely be held accountable when accidents occur. Not only can a personal injury claim protect your rights and ensure the compensation you deserve; it also can help make our society—and our roads—just a little bit more safe.
If you or a loved one has been hurt in a truck accident, however, you may have a lot on your plate. It is completely understandable that you would be hesitant to spend time or money you aren’t sure you have on a lengthy or expensive court case. But the truth is, working with our firm doesn’t have to be an added stress factor for any reason. Here’s why: At the Law Office of Joshua S. Reed, we’ve handled these types of cases before and we know what to do. Furthermore, we offer cost-effective legal solutions and a free initial review, so you have nothing to worry about.
Contact the Law Office of Joshua S. Reed now to set up a free consultation with our firm regarding a trucking accident.