Joshua S. Reed
WHAT TO DO AFTER A CAR ACCIDENT
If you are a safe and responsible driver, you undoubtedly reduce your chances of getting into a car accident every time you get behind the wheel. You also help protect all the other motorists around you, which everyone can appreciate. Unfortunately, the odds are still not exactly in your favor, as thousands of dangerous traffic collisions happen every year in Tennessee, and seemingly to anyone. Reckless and negligent drivers are simply too unpredictable and you may be hit without warning.
Do not let it bother you, though. Knowing ahead of time what you should do in the event that you are ever caught in a car accident can help pave the whole situation smoothly. Hopefully, it will also guide you to fair compensation and a comfortable recovery as well.
Helpful After-Accident Hints
- Call the authorities: If there is any noticeable damages or injuries, you should let the authorities know as soon as possible. Not only will this get medical professionals to the scene soon, but it will also allow you to get a copy of a detailed report from the police when they arrive.
- Create and collect evidence: Assume that no one is going to be thinking about who is at fault for the accident but you. This means that you need to take your own photographs of the scene and possibly even conduct your own interviews of eyewitnesses.
- Don’t take the blame: One of the worst mistakes a motorist can do is to admit fault and accept liability after a car accident. No matter how things appear, there is always a possibility that you could have zero accountability for what happened. But the moment you say you are sorry or say you are to blame, you nearly guarantee that you will be held financially responsible to some degree.
- Reject initial offers: On the off-chance that the other driver’s insurance provider does come to you with a check and your name on it, you should not accept it right away. They will probably come up with a monetary sum way below what you actually deserve or require.
- Call an attorney: After a car accident, a personal injury lawyer will be your newfound friend. With their professional insight to the situation, they can piece together your claim to determine the maximum compensation you can collect and aggressively press for that amount, even if it means taking the matter to court.
At the Law Office of Joshua S. Reed, our Knoxville car accident attorney has more than a decade of experience with helping the wrongfully injured seek a safe and sound recovery. Our passion has always been to support clients through thick and thin, and you can expect that same trustworthy service when you come to us with your case. Call today to request a free consultation!